Re: [FWDLK] Vital info about your car's cruise control

Re: [FWDLK] Vital info about your car's cruise control

The giveaway is this at the end of it:

"If you send  this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about
this, then it was  all worth it. You might have a life."

That's cut and paste folks - I think someone used an H instead of an S on
purpose, but have you ever seen a chain letter that didn't tell you how many
people to send it to?

Cruise control normally should be used at 45 mph or more (some of them won't
work much below that), so that eliminates this from icy conditions - if
you're going that fast when it's icy you'll crash eventually anyways.
Probably at the first curve or intersection...   and I've used it in the
rain myself.   It sets your car to a specific speed - you have to push the
pedal to go faster than that.  If the rolling resistance increases, like
when you come to a hill, it accelerates back to the same speed.  If you lose
rolling resistance, such as on ice or water, it would reduce your speed, or
let off on the throttle.  Otherwise, how the heck could you go down a hill
with the cruise control on?   ....  Now if you go out in the snow later and
purposely spin your tires a bit, see what happens to the speedometer -
usually they jump up to 40 or 50 mph if you do it hard enough.   If your
cruise thinks you're going a bunch faster all of a sudden, what's it going
to do?   Certainly not open the throttle a bunch more.

Bottom line, as far as I'm concerned it's a hoax any way you look at it -
but I've had a few of these things get past me too.  Not a big deal,
probably not worth spending a bunch more time on.  Who knows maybe it even
started out as an April Fools joke in 1996 - these things have a better life
expectancy than we do, I think.

Bill K.