[FWDLK] Vital info about your cruise control

[FWDLK] Vital info about your cruise control

Title: Message
Well, as usual, policemen know more about the law and how to set traps for speeders, (I've been told that I was exceeding the speed limit, but my car would still go faster, and I was under control. What's this about a limit??) but policemen don't know much about a cruise control.   If the cruise is set, and your wheels hydroplane, your car CANNOT accelerate to a higher speed, because your car has lost traction with the road.  Your engine may speed up, but the car will slow down.  The problem is that you suddenly have no control over the speeding wheels, and the car is then moving wherever it has the least traction.  But, if you then NOTICE that you're going sideways, maybe you might just touch the brake, (?)  and the cruise will disengage, and won't try to get back to the speed that it was set for, and maybe you'll get lucky and not hit anything solid.  B/T/W... if you're traveling fast enough to hydroplane, or if your tires are less than good, or if you've been sleeping, you might just crash anyway.

Hmmmm....

If you had left the cruise engaged, it might even be more thrilling when you do crash.  My newer P-car (not Plymouth) has a Traction Control, and once disengaged quickly as soon as one tire lost traction.  It was neat, and myt first reaction was, "What's wrong with this stupid cruise???!!!"  then I came to my senses and appreciated the Traction Control Sensor.

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe (No Cruise)