Re: [FWDLK] 1959 suburban

Just some quick advice -

Ask 'em how much they want first.  If it's solid and complete and they only
think it's worth $100 or so, I'd buy it 10 times over.

Check the frame rails for rust in the rear of the car, particularly around
where the springs bolt to the frame.  Those areas are most prone to rust,
and sometimes depending on the garage they may still rot while sitting.
Also look over the headlight "eyebrows", rockers and floorpans if possible.
The rear rails can be patched if necessary, but if the area ahead of the
kickup is getting bad it's probably only going to be good for parts.

If they need you to make an offer, ask 'em for a starting point... then hit
the value guides for a price range if you need to come up with a figure.
Unless you just want to try a bargain price - you never know, sometimes if
they think you're going to restore it they'll let you have it reasonable.
Figure condition rating #4-#5-#6 depending on any rust, if the motor's
stuck, etc. Having sat that long it will need brakes, all the rubber parts
(belts, hoses, tires, etc), fluids changed, maybe some seals replaced, etc -
a fair amount of work even if it's like new otherwise.  You can get a Krause
Old Cars Price Guide Magazine on most bigger newsstands for about $5.  Their
prices are a little high for real-world market, but it gives you an idea.
Kelly Blue Book has a website you can run the car through too.

A visit to a library or book store for a look at the Krause Standard Catalog
of Chrysler will give you most of the data to decode the car, determine
which engine and what the production was, etc.  Or you can buy one for $25
new, less if you find one used or on eBay.  It even includes a circa-2002
value guide in the back.

Good luck -

Bill K.