Re: [FWDLK] (no subject)

Usually with the early 1960's Mopar VIN plates the last 8 digits were
raised - they were done by machine in advance of pruduction.  This was the
era of the Shipping Order Number which appeared on the build sheet, the data
tag and the body.  The VIN appeared only on the tag attached to the door
jamb and on the build record, which was printed after the car was assembled.
The VIN did not appear on the build sheet until the late 1960's, on the car
body in 1968 and the data tag in 1969.

The first two digits were stamped into the tag and were done after the car
was built.   As the car came down the line, the line worker would grab a
plate, stamp the car line and series of the vehicle and attach it to the
car.   Thus the importance of the SON before the car was completed.

In the case of the 1960-61 Plymouths, the second digits for series (1 to 3)
were for non-wagon models.  The wagons were -
5 = Savoy Suburban
6 = Belvedere Custom Suburban
7 = Fury Sport Suburban

On the data tag the Car Line / Series / Body Style is listed under BDY

Again, the first digit is the Car Line-
2 = Plymouth 6
3 = Plymouth V8.

The second digit is the Series -
1 = Savoy except Suburban
2 = Belvedere except Custom Suburban
3 = Fury except Sport Suburban
4 = (not used)
5 = Savoy Suburban
6 = Belvedere Custom Suburban
7 = Fury Sport Suburban
8 = Taxi
9 = Police
0 = Savoy Fleet Special

The third digit is the Body Style -
1 = 2-door sedan
2 = 2-door hardtop
3 = 4-door sedan
4 = 4-door hardtop
5 = 2-door convertible
5 = 2-door wagon, 6-pass
6 = 4-door wagon, 6-pass
7 = 4-door wagon, 8-pass

(8 & 9 were used for Dodge and Chrysler 4-door hardtop wagons and 0 was not
used.)

Bill
Vancouver, BC