Re: [FWDLK] Ignition Wiring & Firing Order '57 Dodge D500

Re: [FWDLK] Ignition Wiring & Firing Order '57 Dodge D500

Mike, Jim,

Your method works with most engines, like GMs, but will not work with an early Hemi or Poly. The Mopar distributor shaft has a tab that fits into a slot on the top of the “distributor lower drive shaft gear” (which drives off the cam). The distributor rotor on top is fixed in relationship to the shaft tab, and thus to the gear. To rotate the distributor’s position, the gear must be rotated. If the engine was worked on or rebuilt, the gear was not properly positioned at assembly.

  1. Rotate the crank until # 1 cylinder is at TDC, on the ignition firing cycle. Rotor should be pointed at plug wire #1.
  2. Remove the distributor. Remove the gear.
  3. Align the oil pump shaft so that it lines up with the slot in the gear.
  4. Then install so that as the gear spirals into position, it will index with the oil pump shaft and the slot in the top of the drive gear will be parallel with the centerline of the crankshaft.
  5. Install the distributor with the rotor pointing toward the front of the engine.
  6. Static time as Mike described: Before you put the cap on, turn the distributor CCW until the points just open, with the switch on you should be able to see or hear a spark when they open, this will set the timing close enough to start the engine.
  7. The rotor will be pointing at # 1 on the distributor cap. Reposition the plug wires.
  8. Start and time the engine.

This will properly position the distributor so the plug wiring will be as described in your diagram. Also, the vacuum advance will be located pointing to the RH side of the vehicle. This is useful if you have a tight clearance between the distributor and the firewall or use the original all metal original vacuum line.

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500