Re: [FWDLK] D-C parts support

I don't think it is a matter of Ford and GM believing keeping old cars on
the road will sell new cars.   Considering both GM and Ford are losing
sales, market and money these past few years some might say the opposite.
(DC is the only company increasing its sales, market, profit and expanding
plants at present.)  However, I believe it is a matter of having a large
enough market for old parts to reproduce them.   Ford and GM have enough of
their old cars running around they can make money on them.

When it comes to 1957 models, for example, Chevrolet built 1,552,471 cars in
the U.S. for the model year, compared to 1,655,068 Fords and 662,824
Plymouths.  As we all know, there is a large following for the 1957
Chevrolet, but next to nothing for the Plymouth.  You go to car shows and
there are rows of Chevrolets and a handful of Plymouths.  More Chevrolets
were saved than Plymouths, which is compounded by the fact there were 2½
times more Chevrolets built than Plymouths in the first place.   As there is
a demand for 1957 Chevrolet parts, they get reproduced.   But Plymouth parts
are not - no demand.

Unfortunately, with so many 1957-59 Mopar vehicles left to rust over the
years Forward Look vehicles will never have the demand for parts, reproduced
or otherwise, as compared to GM and Ford.   And if you think Mopar is tough,
try a 1957 Rambler.  Things are somewhat easier for Studebaker fans as all
the parts in the parts department were saved from destruction when they were
purchased by Altman and Neuman in South Bend, Indiana, after Studebaker
stopped auto production.

Bill
Vancouver, BC