[FWDLK] tapping the engine block

Thanks, John, that was very helpful!  When you do the tapping, how generous
are you with cutting oil?  When you install the coil, do you use a
lock-tight product or just insert it without "locking it in"?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCann" <jmccann02@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:55 AM Subject: Re: [FWDLK] tapping the engine block

Hi Bryan
   I have Heli-coiled a few holes in the past but not enough to call
myself
an expert. Use a variable speed drill and keep the speed slow. When
drilling
out the old threads to the size required by the heli coil tap the drill
will
follow the stripped out hole and it would be hard to make it do otherwise
in
steel or cast iron, aluminum is another story. When getting ready to
drill,
check the depth of the hole and put some tape on the drill bit at that
depth
so you know when you have reached bottom although drilling will probably
stop at that point anyway or at least slow down so you know you have hit
bottom. Cover all access to the engine any way you can to avoid getting
chips and shavings into the engine, grease on the drill bit and tap will
catch many of the chips but you have to keep them out of the engine. When
tapping the hole after it is drilled back up the tap often to clear it of
cuttings, you just have to back it up part of a turn until you feel it
turn
free, then turn it in the thread cutting direction again for another turn
then back it up again to clear the threads. when installing the
heli-coil,
try to line it up as good as you can then turn the heli-coil to start it
into the newly threaded hole, once it is started I usually let go of the
insertion tool and turn the heli-coil enough to bring the insertion tool
in
contact with the surface so I don't have a gap between the tool and the
hole
then screw it in until it clears the tool and a little more until it
doesn't
stick above the surface and interfere with the mating surface. I am
guessing
that the stripped hole is in the head where the manifold attaches which
means if you don't feel comfortable repairing the threads yourself you
can
remove the head and take it to a machine shop to get it done or to just
get
the repair away from your engine.

John
Wilbur, Washington