[FWDLK] Driving Miss MoPar....

Ok, So, Fearless Leader doesn't want us to discuss the raping that
Big-Oil is perpetrating on us (billions is profits, in just the last
quarter-
year).....

So.....Jim Hoekendijk has written, to say that he believes that Premium
Grade gasoline might produce around 10% better fuel economy (& better
performance, etc.) than Regular Grade gas.

I live @ 4k' elevation, so can run a leaner fuel mixture (I believe) and
lower octane-rating, than a car, residing @ sea level.

At any rate, I've put Regular grade (87 octane)  in Horrie, (9.25:1
c.r.) during the cooler-months, and Mid-grade (89 octane) during 100
degree summer months, without any apparent engine damage (his 325 Hemi
did/does not have hardened valve seats,like the CHRY-Hemis have).

Does anyone have any real-world documentation, as to the improvement in
MPG, that might be produced by a higher octane rating?

I do know that "Brand-name" gas is supposed to have mo-better additives
(anti-knock/detergent, etc) than the "no-name" generic gas dealers.

Now, here comes the interesting (Urban-myth??) part: Regular gas, here
costs $2.38; Premo costs $2.58 ($.20/gallon more).

If my car "normally" gets around 13 MPG, a 10% increase (from El Premio)
would be about 1.3 MPG.

For a 20 gallon tank-full, my car would travel ("on average") about
20gal x 1.3 extra-MPG =
26 "extra" miles.

The Premium gas would cost $.20 extra/gallon,  or: 20gal x $.20  =
$4.00 ( "extra").

BUT, with  the Regular-grade gas, it would take 'exactly'  2 gallons to
travel that same "extra" 26 miles.

And, 2 gallons of 'Regular',  @ $2.38 = $4.76 , or, $.76 MORE than the
cost of the Premium grade of gas!!!

So, the equilavent cost of Premium gas is actually about 4 cents/gallon
less expensive, than it would appear to be  ($.80 (approx-savings
divided by 20 gallons), plus
your car would benefit from whatever additives/octane that the Premium
grade would provide.

So, again, has there been any research, or testing-results published,
OR, has anyone 'here' done a grade -vs- grade driving comparison,
regarding the increased performance that might be expected, in a 9.25:1
c.r. engine??

I do recall the axiom that a higher-octane gas will not benefit an
engine that was "designed"
for a lower grade of gas.

Finally, divide your present cost-of-gas by eight, & see what the "late
1960's" price of your gas, would be (amazing; about $.30,  for $2.38-
price, now)

Neil Vedder