Re: [FWDLK] Driving Miss MoPar....

Neil,

Why not run some premo thru a couple of tanks and do a live comparison? Let
us know.

One of the reasons premium gets better mileage is that you can run more
compression and ignition advance, both of which make the engine more
efficient. But if you don't change these, you may not even see a difference.

I also remember reading something a long time ago that regular gas is made
of heavier and denser molecules. (The article talked about measuring
specific gravity as a way to identify better gas brands for racing. Lighter
is higher octane.) This makes regular slightly heavier per gallon, providing
more hydrocarbons and thus more fuel mpg. Because high octane has less HC
weight per volume, slightly larger carb jets are needed for high octane to
get the same air to fuel weight ratio. This slight increase in fuel volume
flow can be offset by the advantages of higher compression and more ignition
advance. So, a properly prepped engine with balanced c/r, advance, and
calibrated carb, can achieve high mpg on premium. To put premium into a
regular gas engine ForwardLook car without these mods gains little but a
higher price per gallon.

Oxygenated gas just has alcohol in it, usually 10%. Required in this farm
state. Because alky has less HC per gallon (about half), the net effect is
to lean out the mixture about 5% and thus reduce HC emissions. To restore
your carb's balance and car's power (and HC emissions) you need to increase
the jet size slightly. Alky also evaporates easier, cooling the mixture and
simulating a higher octane for reduced knock.

Some modern computerized cars can automatically advance the ignition and
control the fuel-injected mixture by using feedback from sensors (knock and
oxygen sensors) and achieve some improvement from premium. My son's 87
T-Bird has a switch on the dash for regular or premium.

Back in 1948, or so, Oldsmobile road tested their new Rocket V8 with
compression ratios as high as 12 to 1, or more, to determine the effect on
gas mileage. They found that even though mpg improved, very high compression
ratios (over 9 or 10) required more expense to make the gas than the
improvement in mpg paid back.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500