Re: [FWDLK] '57 Chrysler Mystery

Thomas Miller wrote:

OK ForwardLookers, here's a mystery I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me solve!

I've recently acquired not one, but TWO 1957 Chrysler New Yorker Town & Country Station Wagons. These cars are nearly identical in many ways. Both have N57xxxx serial numbers. Both have white exteriors, 392 single 4-bbl. Hemi engines, power steering, brakes, windows, seats & the 8-button search tune radio.

Now, for the mystery. I have one car that has 14" x 4.5" bolt pattern wheels ( and thus drums, axles etc.) on all four corners. The second car has 15" x 5.5" bolt pattern Imperial style ventilated wheels all the way around. This car does look as if it was someone's tow vehicle somewhere along the way as it still has a trailer hitch and a very 50's / 60's period looking external transmission cooler installed in front of the radiator.

According to the '57 service manual, C-76 came with the 14 on 4.5 wheels, and IM-1,2 &3 came with 14 on 5.5 wheels. So, I'll buy the fact that 15 on 5.5 wheels could have gotten swapped on to this car along the way. But, I'm baffled as to why this car has 5.5" bolt pattern axles, drums etc.

So, help me out here. Is it an option, a swap, a special order or just another one of those freaky old Chrysler stories that can't be explained??!! Thanks everybody.

Best Regards,

Thomas F. Miller
1957 300C, 1957 New Yorker T&C Wagon(s)

I believe that it only required a change of drums and brake parts, the drums would have had the HUBs in them usually.

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy