[FWDLK] Re2: [FWDLK] Roof Rail Weatherstrip CLOTH TAPE

[FWDLK] Re2: [FWDLK] Roof Rail Weatherstrip CLOTH TAPE

FYI:  Steele Rubber products sells a cloth tape to put over the rubber which might work.  I have not yet tried it...anyone else?

http://166.82.96.9/gifs/70117565.gif

Tape, bowdrill cloth, pressure sensitive, for covering convertible side window weatherstrip. Water and sunproof. Available in black or tan, in 5" widths. 5 ft. long.

70-1175-65...Black 5"..$ 20.50/ea.
70-1176-65...Tan 5"..$ 20.50/ea.

This is on the page you get when you search the online catalog for hardtop/convertible parts of just about any car.

Lou

Glenn Barratt wrote:
Ron.

This is a common problem with this repro roofrail weatherstrip, which all of the suppliers fail to acknowledge.

When I installed mine I discovered exactly the same thing-that with the roofrail weatherstrip out, the rear quarter window goes up and down with the greatest of ease, winding the handle with just your little finger. When the roofrail weatherstrip is installed, it binds up badly to the point where it feels like the mechanism is straining to breaking point, and you have to physically pull the rear quarter window along with the other hand to get it to close fully.

This is CLEARLY the result of this weatherstrip, and most likely just because it is not flocked as original.
And yes I have tried graphite and other products to solve it.

Surely in this day and age someone can design this properly and have it flocked as original? My late model Dodge Ram has flocked channel in it, so it is obviously still possible to be made today, (unlike the headliner chrome strips...).

Maybe these suppliers have a shipping container of this rubbish to get rid of before they will address the problem?

The same suppliers also supply the division channel that the front door glass slides in incorrectly, so that binds badly as well. After countless emails with no replies or acknowledgement, at least I have finally  found a different supplier for that division channel which is the perfect size and style.

Perhaps someone on the List has a contact at a manufacturing plant, car production line or something, where the possibilities of manufacturing a run of flocked roofrail weatherstrip could be explored. It wouldn't be cheap no doubt, but I would be prepared to pay somewhere around $500 to have this problem go away, perhaps others would too.

Glenn.
57 Fury.

Ron Waters wrote:

Gang -

I'm finally getting around to installing the roof rail weatherstrip on my 58
Ply 2dr HT. I purchased this from a well-known supplier of repro stuff for
our cars that is frequently mentioned on the list. What I'm finding is that
the quarter windows are binding on this weatherstrip, which is plain moulded
rubber instead of flocked rubber as original. When the weatherstrip is off
the car, the quarter windows goes up and down easily.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did they solve it ? Is there a
source of flocked roof rail weatherstrip ?

Ron