Re: [FWDLK] Sittin in a rocking CHAIR.....

That should be 1968....damn that dyslexia!

From: cpollock@xxxxxxxx
Date: 2005/06/10 Fri PM 01:36:16 EDT
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Sittin in a rocking CHAIR.....

Hi Neil,
I don't know if the seatback measures the same, but the early to mid 70's cars also had the moulded-in high headrest.  So it would look very different.  These seats also have no provision to recline (which can be a problem).  The button itself (if memory serves me) is actually mounted through the vertical metal rail the makes up the seat back, then through a small hole moulded in the plastic seatback.  On the outboard side of course (ie. on the left on the driver's side, right on the passenger's). Even though both side rails have the mounting provisions. The late 60's seats with the chrome lever-type knob does something similar, but it comes from the bottom of the rail.  There can be/cannot be a headrest on certain cars/set-ups. So you may be able to find something that would work, but keep in mind any B-body of that period (1986-1970) will command top dollar for parts.  They are extremely popular at the moment.
The whole reason I thought of it was that it should be simple to modify the rail in the seat to accept the pushbutton assy, and then you would only need to cut a small square in the actual seatback.  As opposed to the lever were you would still need to modify the rail, but then slit the back.
I know from experience that the chrome lever-style knobs on those cars are made of 'unobtainium', a substance we are ALL familiar with. Whereas the cheap black or chrome button is plentiful.
I am not 100% but I think they used the same set-up in the A-bodies as well, which would make them virtually dirt cheap (or even free!) as A-bodies are everywhere in bone yards.

Anyway,
Thanks for the feedback,
Charles.