Re: [FWDLK] SMS Door Panels

Couple more things, about SMS.

In 57, the factory bragged about their :"Pellon (one of the
"miracle-fabics") -backed vinyl seat material.

The upholstery cloth may have been as sturdy ,and durable, as "speaker
coth", but  the vinyl
bolsters were actually a quality product.

The Pellon appears to be an impregnated ,
 woven-nylon material, that acts to reinforce the vinyl.

The vinyl that SMS (& probably "all" others(?) sells is rather wimpy, by
comparison, being kinda thin, unreinforeced material,  but at least it
is the correct shade & texture.

No company, to my knowledge, makes the "correct" knurled (like a
golf-ball!) opaque-gold seat  beading, that appeared on 57 CRL's, and
SMS's beading might (still) be 'only' the readily-available, too-thin,
clear vinyl wrapped over a gold central core, stuff.

When I had H's upholstery be restored (around 1981; pre-SMS; at least I
never heard about them, then, ) I had to contact the various
upholstery-shops that advertised in Hemmings.

I was able to find NOS cloth (in remnants/sections) , but lucked-out
BIG-time, when our local upholstery shop happened to have a lot of
virtually-identical seat beading, in stock. The shop did not remember
where they had got the beading, but there was (just) enuf to do my car's
interior.

I've actually replaced the driver's-side lower-seat bolster twice, since
1981, as that section "scrunches" down, every time that the seat is sat
upon. The 1st time was not with SMS stuff, & the second time was with
SMS's stuff.---So, I'm on my third-piece of seat vinyl, in that
location.

MORAL: if anyone is planning a seat resto, and has any 'usable' piece of
OEM "Pellon" reinforced vinyl, left-over, I suggest using that durable
piece on the lower-sides of BOTH 'ends' of the front seat, and use SMS's
vinyl on the rest of the interior.

Neil Vedder