Re: [FWDLK] air compressor

I copied this to the list as well as I would really like to hear others
thoughts on the subject.  Seems on topic to me but please smack my hand if
it isn't.

Here are my thoughts:
You need to look at the CFM (air consumption) of the tools you want to buy.
Then compare that number to the CFM your compressor is able to provide.  Air
tools use A LOT of air...  I have a 30 gallon oil-less unit and a
professional quality impact wrench.  The impact wrench is rated for 17cfm
under load and the compressor can make up 8cfm.  I can easily drain the tank
down to an unusable pressure in minutes trying to get out a stubborn bolt.
Using the grinder is horribly aggravating as you have to continually stop
and wait for the tank to refill.  If you had a six gallon unit I can't
imagine you would be able to do much of anything with it.  Those units are
mostly intended for brad nailers for home refinishers.

I would stay away from the oil-less compressors if you can afford to buy the
standard kind.  I have an oil-less myself and it is so loud that I can't use
in the mornings as it wakes up the next door neighbors.  I keep it in my
shop area and close the door when using air in the garage.  It is still loud
enough that you can't hear the radio over it.

If I had it to do all over again I would be looking at one like
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&p
id=00919568000&subcat=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators  at a minimum.

                    Steve B.