Re: [FWDLK] Auxiliary elecrtic fuel pump

Re: [FWDLK] Auxiliary elecrtic fuel pump

I thought about this question for a long time. I decided that I wanted the
oil pressure to be up before the engine fired. There is nothing worse than
starting an engine with no oil flow to the bearings, even if only for a
couple of seconds. There is very little pressure on the bearings during
cranking, compared to the pressure exerted by the rods during running, even
at idle. After a long period of sitting, allowing the carbs to dry up, the
oil in the oil passages may have leaked down also, requiring a few seconds
to replenish and provide pressure. I see this on the oil pressure gauge,
especially in the spring. So in the spring at first start up, I crank the
engine for about 5 seconds to build oil pressure and fill both 4 bbl carbs,
stop cranking, then I set the choke and pump the accelerator pump once. This
way, the accelerator pump well has fuel to lubricate the accelerator pump
plunger and provide the proper amount of fuel squirt with one pump of the
gas pedal, and the oil system is at pressure. Then I engage the starter
again and it fires right up. During the rest of the year, I set the choke
and it starts immediately if it has been run in the last 2 weeks or so. If
it takes a couple of seconds longer (to fill the carbs), then the oil is
also building pressure.

If I were to use an electric pump, I would still crank the starter to build
oil pressure, stop cranking, run the electric fuel pump to fill the carbs,
set the choke and pump the accelerator pump once, then start the engine. If
the carb does not have enough fuel to start right away after the oil
pressure is up, then an electric pump might be a good idea to fill the carb
quicker and save wear on the starter/ring gear.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500