[FWDLK] Popsitive ground

My car's battery was showing in need of a charge to I hooked up my 3 amp battery charger set at 6 V.  It showed about a 1/2 to 3/4 amp charge.  Left it overnight and totally dead.  So, I tried a new Interstate that had been shelf sitting for 3 years or more and it was dead.

Bought a new 6 V battery from Napa and installed it and cranked car and drove it under carport.  Noticed the amp meter going negative when I juiced the motor and positive when I turned on the lights.  Shut is off and went to bed and i woke up in the middle of the night realizing this car must have been like the old Fords of the era and had a positive ground.  Got my shop manual out and verified it is a positive ground.  So, I took the battery to my shop and connected the battery charger and it only registered a 3/4 amp charge when I put the positive battery charger on positive battery and neg on neg.  I then reversed the charger connections and it jumped to 3 plus amps which is all this little W.T. Grant charger, that is 50 or more years old, can handle.

Then I decided to just remove the battery charger and see if I should be doing it reversed.  On the surface it seems that that would be correct but wanted to run it by folks who have more experienced with the 6V pso ground stuff than me.  Even my M/ASE mechanic said he did not know as it was before his time.
TIA
Tom