[FWDLK] Charging a battery

I used to think I understood batteries and charging systems but never gave much thought to a positive ground system and I am having trouble getting my small brain around it.  Normally you think in terms of hitting the positive with a wrench and drawing a spark or welding the wrench to the fender.  Here I am actually bolting the positive side down to the block.  I used to think that in charging a battery you were changing some stuff around on the plates that flowed positive to negative.  But, when I have a positive ground batter, appears the generator is creating deposits in the opposite direction since the generator connection is coming from the ground side.  Then, I have to square that with putting it on a battery charger with the positive to positive and negative to negative which would seem to be the opposite of how the battery lives in the car.

Can someone square me away on this?

Tom