[FWDLK] Battery polarity explanations

Thanks for the explanations in reference to the positive or negative grounding in automobiles.  I did find it interesting that after installing the battery incorrectly, the car cranked and I drive it to the car port and then noticed when I did a slight rev to the engine that the amp guage went negative but when I turned on lights, it went positive.  I had to have my van towed yesterday to get a starter replaced and the tow truck driver is also a very talented car man.  He said that if I cranked it with the battery reversed, the engine would run backwards.  I then ask him why the car drove forward and backwards as to the automatic transmission if it were turning backwards and he was stumped with that one.

My very qualified ASE (Master) mechanic was baffled by the same thing I was.  Given a good but somewhat discharged new 6 V battery, you put it on the charger correctly and the charging rate was very low as compared to what you might expect with a 12 V.  I thought it was my little 0-3 amp W T Grant charger I have had since Moby Dick was a minnow but his big charger did the same thing.  He even brought another battery from home and was getting the same results.

Tom