Re: [FWDLK] 383 RB Engine

The RB block shares the 3.75" stroke with the 413 but has a 4.03" bore (413
bore - 4.18").   The B block 383 had a 3.375" stroke with a 4.15" bore while
the 361 B block had a 4.12" bore with the 3.375" stoke.

As a result, the 383RB block used the same intake manifold as the 413 but
the heads were shared with the 361 due to the smaller bore.  The 413 and B
block 383 shared heads in 1959-60 but if that head was placed on the RB 383
the valves would not be able to open.

By the way, the 400 was a B block, using the B block 3.375" stroke with a
4.34" bore (the 440 had a 4.32" bore)

So you will be able to use manifolds and distributors from the RB block
engines, but you will need to be careful with the heads due to the small
bore.  The B block 383 and 400 heads as well as the 413 and 440 heads will
not work on the 383 RB engine.

Given the bore wall thicknesses of the time, the most you could go over
would be about .060", which would give you a bore of 4.09".  Still smaller
than the 361-383-400-413-440 engines.

Bill
Vancouver, BC