Re: [FWDLK] Turbine Cars

Hi Neil:

Thanks for your remembrance of those early WPC Club days. The Jefferson Ave plant tour with Iacocca's daughters was the C-body plant. There was an inside story to that particular tour. I received a call from Otto Rosenbusch, the man who set up dog and pony shows at various venues for the Corporation. Just as I was leaving for Detroit with my family and the National Meet, Otto called me and said the Jefferson Plant tour was cancelled by Mr. Iacocca. There were but 120 spots for members available and all were assigned by postmark of the members' meet registration. I told Otto that it was OK to cancel the tour but that I had no way to stop 120 members from contacting the media -- TV, Radio and Newspapers -- and voicing their distaste and disgust. You get the idea!  Otto said he'd get right back to me. And, he did. The tour was back on. You see, Otto, was the one who cancelled (tried to) the tour and I called his bluff. This guy is the same one who wrote his own story of how "he" saved Chrysler's car collection  and had it published in a small local Detroit suburban paper. Otto did not save the collection, but I do know who did. That man was a very great fan of the WPC Club and someone I have respected for many years. Oh, with the addition of the Iacocca girls, dates and guards, there were about 126 on the tour trains.

It's amazing how many of those 120 members have called me over the past 24 years to express their thanks for the tour -- it was special!

Regards,

Sherwood Kahlenberg