From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John M. Zastrow
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 11:09 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] [Fwd: Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 19 Dec 2005 to 20 Dec 2005 (#2005-343)]

Pennzoil (and all Pennsylvania crude oils) has a huge amount of paraffin wax

>in it

Several years ago noted automotive journalist Matt Joseph stated this same fact on his weekly Wisconsin Public Radio program about Pennzoil containing a huge amount of paraffin wax but at the same time said that Pennsylvania crude was no longer used in the oil.  He said Quaker State also no longer used PA oil.  I recently read also (somewhere on the web) that this was true and there was little crude oil left in Western PA and that Shell Oil Co. of Texas currently owns Pennzoil and it consisted of imported crude.   I have a good friend who has used Pennzoil since time began and he swears by it.  He tells me he has put over 200,000 miles on engines with no sludge problems or oil related problems.  I am a staunch Valvoline user so we get into it once in awhile.  Speaking of cutting oil filters apart; Matt Joseph said one time that if you cut a Fram filter in half you would find a piece of string they used during production still wrapped around inside of filter. I cut one in half and sure enough, there was the piece of string. That was several years ago.  A couple years ago I cut one in half again and now there was no string.  But I did happen to cut a Motorcraft one in half and lo and behold, there was a piece of string around the inside paper filter.  I don’t know if that string would cause problems by breaking or coming loose, but it seems kind of shoddy.  So before throwing that used filter away cut ‘er in half and see what you got.  Also Matt suggested counting the paper folds on the filter.  I guess the more folds, the better filtration. I’ve used 10W-30 Valvoline in my ’59 Plymouth (102,000 miles on engine) for about 7 years now and have no problems. I drive the car regularly during summer and change oil in spring and fall and it doesn’t use a drop in between. I’ve taken both valve covers off several times over the years when detailing engine and they are clean.

Fins59 - John Z

Mosinee, Wisconsin

1959 Plymouth Sport Fury

1959 Plymouth Fury