Re: [FWDLK] Parking break ass'y 59 Dodge Torqueflite

Re: [FWDLK] Parking break ass'y 59 Dodge Torqueflite

Jim,

Some PowerFlites also used the same 4 inch diameter u-joint housing, as you need for your TorqueFlite. My 56 Dodge with 315 engine did. Smaller engines used smaller u-joints. If you need a new u-joint, I have a source for new ones, very reasonably priced.

The entire parking brake assembly from any PowerFlite or cast iron TorqueFlite should fit. The only variation may be with the cable brace attached to the backing plate.

I converted my 56 Dodge from a PowerFlite to an aluminum 727 pushbutton TorqueFlite. I used all of the PF parking brake parts on the 727, except the drum. The PF drum had a 10 tooth spline and the 727 TF has a 23 tooth spline. I don’t know when the transition in tooth count took place between 1956 and 1962. It may have been with the 62 727, or maybe earlier. You might count your spline teeth to make sure you get the right drum.

If you are replacing an existing TF transmission, the old parking brake assembly should transfer over.

Dave Homstad

56 Dodge D500