Re: [FWDLK] Tube that feeds heat to choke control

Re: [FWDLK] Tube that feeds heat to choke control

In a message dated 1/10/2006 12:23:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, ttaylor530@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Can someone tell me if the tube pushes into the manifold of there is a nipple pipe that goes between the manifold and the tube and the manifold.  This pipe appears to be made of steel.  Is this a process of finding this type of tubing and then bending it to match what I have now?
The choke heat tube goes from the choke housing down and slips into ANOTHER SEPARATE tube that goes completely through the exhaust manifold.  This second tube is pressed into the exhaust manifold, and has a "step" in it to keep it in place.

This second tube is directly in the exhaust flame and is notorious for burning through and allowing carbon to be sucked directly into the choke system.  The correct fix is to first check the tube through the exhaust manifold to see if it is burnt through.  If so, it must be replaced along with the tube that you can see.

"In the day", the most common fix was to just install a manual choke cable, and forget it!  I, personally, just backed the choke out of the way and learned to give it a couple of pumps to start, along with a little coaxing to keep it going until it warmed up a little.  It's easier than it sounds, and they get drivable pretty quickly!

That, by the way, is the reason that sinking the choke coil into the intake manifold was such a positive change.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan