From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List on behalf of Ron Allyn Swartley
Sent: Sat 1/14/2006 1:49 PM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] L-FORWARDLOOK Digest - 12 Jan 2006 to 13 Jan 2006 (#2006-14)

WHAT COULD BE ORDERED  AND WHAT COULDN'T BE ORDERED ON MOPARS???? HARD COLD FACTS

       When I got into collecting and drag racing Plymouth Fury's in 1957 the High Performance Era was just beginning. When you ordered a new Chrysler Product there was a list of option and almost no one asked for something that was not on the list. ( times were different then, 98% of the buyers went by the rules.)
        However, if you were knowledgeable and up to date on what options were in the planning stages and determined and told the dealer you would buy a GM or Ford product if you did not get that special interior, special color, special engine, etc, etc, and if the dealer was a big dealer that sold a lot of cars and had a lot of pull with the company -------------then you got it even though it was not available. Now here is the thing that throws people off---------it was not documented most of the time and there were no window stickers and the dealer invoice did not show it in the place it should be shown. Instead there was sometimes a little asterisk with a foot note saying something like " not offered option" and sometimes there was nothing mentioned but you got what you wanted. Remember, back then buyers were special, not just numbers like they are today to a dealer. Naturally this was not something that everybody talked about  and it surely was not advertised that you could get things not offered as an option.
        <snip>