Re: [FWDLK] slow cranking 361

might be a good idea to try anudder battery, since new batteries are known to sit on the shelves in the warehouse for months and can lose charge. Good idea to learn the date code (every battery has one) so you can tell how long it has been since manufacture. I have seen some that were a year old before being sold. does not mean they are bad.....just need a kick to get going.. Spencer 61' Newport, 62 Power WAgon Ambulance

From: Larry Gardinier <gardinier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] slow cranking 361
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:42:10 +0000

So now I've had the starter rebuilt and installed a new battery, new cables to ground and starter and the it still cranks very slowly. Battery voltage is at 11.9 and it reads the same at the starter. I realize that number is a little low, but not low enough to crank this slow. It also reads the same if I test at the battery's ground post or the engine block. This car has been sitting a long time, could this be caused by a film of rust on the cylinder walls? Any other reasons you guys can think of that would cause this?
Thanks for any help,
Larry Gardinier