[FWDLK] 57 Plymouth Conv. Auto or Stick? reply

[FWDLK] 57 Plymouth Conv. Auto or Stick? reply

Hi Jim,

Not sure exactly what the question is.  You state:  “this is a restoration with everything original” . If your goal is an original restoration, then it would stand to reason that, if the car was built with a stick and manual steering, that’s the way it should be restored.  If your goal is an original restoration !

That said:  I am finishing the refurbishing of my  ’61 Newport 2dr htp. – which was originally 3 speed manual trans, with manual steering. Fortunately I was able to drive the car quite a bit before taking it all apart. The manual steering sucks to high heavens, and the 3 speed manual trans is not that far behind in terms of lousy.  The car is definitely getting an upgrade to power steering  (FirmFeel box) and, once it’s done and if I really like it and decide to keep it, it will also get a transmission upgrade to something more user-friendly and less.. crunchy.

Only you, the owner, can decide what your goal is, as far as your current project. Good luck !

John Hertog

Sag Harbor NY