Re: [FWDLK] Hemi Rebuild

I had my FP-31 318 2x4 Poly rebuilt 3 years ago and it ran alot more than $2500.00. Of course the block I had was stuck and required a.060 overbore and 2 new sleeves. Also a new Chris Nielson cam and valve train a new set of K B Silvolite pistons. Two new rods and a replacement crankshaft.A new Melling oil pump and a change to spin on oil filter. The machine shop balanced blueprinted and precision assembled the block. I did the remaining assembly and installed it and a heavy duty liquid cooled Torqueflite from a Hemi. Also found the correct carbs and had them restored this added about $1100.00 to the bill . Topped it off with a modern Mopar Performance electronic ignition. Total bill just under $5000.00 but I think it was well worth the money! Dick W.                                                                             ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Hemi Rebuild

My friend just had his 318 2x4 Poly rebuild last year for under $2,500 and they pulled the engine and reinstalled it! He got new pistons,all the machine work,bearings,ect.They even painted the engine the correct MOPAR silver.It all depends on who does the work and the quality of the parts.The 400 in my '57 cost twice as much in parts and machine work,and it's a more common engine to get parts for and I assembled it other than the short block,but I used MOPAR PERFORMANCE parts,an Isky cam,tri-metal bearings,ect,ect. The machine work was done at the best race shop around,the engine internals were balanced, each piston was measured and the cylinder bored for it.There is a lot of difference in machining at a mass production shop and a true race prep shop.If I was getting even a stock engine done I would talk to the local drag racers and stock car drivers and see who most of them use for their work,I would also after the block and heads were checked bring in my own bearings,pistons (if needed,but most engines need at least a .010 over bore to true up the cylinders,even when new),cam,brass freeze plugs(they don't rot out) valve springs and anything else it needs.If you buy the parts yourself it's usually cheaper than thru the shop,you can shop around more,compare prices and don't have to pay their mark up.Remember one thing,you get what you pay for most of the time.A balanced well put together engine will run smoother and last longer,stock or hot rodded.Mass production shops are into speed,not quality.They don't plastigauge the bearings,the cylinders are all bored to the same size,not to the piston size,and they do vary,the torque specs are usually not considered and done with an air gun,they also don't degree the cam .Spend the extra couple of hundred dollars on quality machining it's worth it.I think my machining with bottom end assembly and balancing cost around $1200.
Adam Lindenbaum
426 Hemi/4 speed Fury
57 Savoy Kustom