[FWDLK] "Jato Japery" (rah-rah: RESEARCH)

[FWDLK] "Jato Japery" (rah-rah: RESEARCH)

Jato Japery is the title of the one-page article, on  page 29, in the
May, 1957 issue of  Motor Trend, that shows/discusses a
"Jet-Assisted-Take-Off" bottle, being installed on a 57 Coro 2-dr
hardtop, by nun-other than the Dodge Division, with the car hitting 140
mph, on the El Mirage dry lake bed, in CA.

The car was not (even) a D500, but the article says that the purpose of
the event was :" Serious object of test was to demonstrate brakes at
high speed."

The article does not say what (didn't) happen, when the brakes were
applied, @ 140......??

BTW, this issue if MT is the one, touting "Chrysler Wins'57 MT
Car-of-Year Award", & has a red NY'er cornering around a mountain bend
(actually, on Whitney Portal Road, outside Lone Pine, CA, about 60 miles
south of Bishop.)

In the couse of my 2-nite's mag-research, I re-found Exner's
"clothing-design" article, on  page 59, of 3/57 Car Life (with the big
Edsel 'E', on the cover).

Also found, in the 3/57 Motor Life,  a neat 57 "styling" issue , with
early
prospective drawings & clay models, including the official "Preliminary
Sketch" of the 57 Plymouth, AND, an un-believable clay-modeling photo,
of some 'generic' 57 Mope, which 'looks' toward the rear 1/4 view, but,
the fins and rear bumper are DEAD-ringers, for the 1960 CADILLAC, and
the roofline is identical to the 64+ Riviera

THEN, there's a really neat article, in the 3/61 issue of CARS (which
road-rests/compares a 3-speed stick, & an automatic  300G) :"A tip for
Fury Owners", which concerns the  creation of a "manual control linkage"
, which allows a driver to adjust the carb linkage, manually,  for
"on-the-fly"  economical,  to : all-eight-barrels operation!

Finally, I found the Buck Baker "Cypress Gardens" photo, that Jim
Hoekendijk just won,  on Ebay, on page 37 of the 8/57 Car Life!

Neil Vedder