Re: [FWDLK] '57 Dodge in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Re: [FWDLK] '57 Dodge in Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Well, I still believe that anything less than 99% is cause for worry. There are numerous sellers on eBay with hundreds or even thousands of feedbacks who have a rating approaching 100%. In my opinion 97% or 98% is not in that range, 99% to 100% is what I look for. I agree that everyone doesn't post feedback,however if I am interested in buying from a seller with lower feedback, I check out the people who have left negative feedback. If they have poor feedback themselves, then I tend ignore their input, but if they have very good ratings themselves then, I feel their opinion is important with regard to the seller's job performance.

Back to Walmart or Target, go by the return section, there are usually folks their returning either items that were defective, or that they bought in error or even that they had used and now wish to return. Nonetheless, the store realizes that maintaining a good reputation, feedback if you will, is important, thus they try to keep the customer satisfied. And this is for customers who can see, feel, touch and generally know the item before they buy. If they maintained those policies and sold on eBay, I would bet that their feedback would indeed be very high.

Sellers on eBay are dealing with customers who are solely dependent upon them for accurate descriptions, prompt shipping, realistic shipping costs as well as for customer service after the sale. There is no word of mouth on eBay except for the feedback rating, to ignore it or belittle it is to throw away the only tool we have to make a prior judgement regarding a prospective transaction. Why should we accept a lesser standard for an Internet buy/sell than we would for a mortar and brick sale?

And you are correct, a private feedback rating is cause for concern as well, what is being hidden? Negative feedbacks that are unfair or unwarranted can be removed by eBay after review by an impartial panel, I think we must believe that negative feedbacks that are allowed to remain have validity.

Everyone must make their own value judgement when dealing on eBay. Rarely is there only a single source for any given item, so why take a chance, especially for a big ticket item like a classic car? I have bought 3 cars on eBay, all from trusted eBayers based on their feedback, and I was satisfied. I wouldn't touch this '57 Dodge unless I personally inspected it, drove it and had the title researched. That is due to the feedback. Just my opinion, but that is how I do business.

Bill Huff