From: Tom Stroup
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Timing a 331 Hemi

John described it well.

More modern ?      Use a test light...

I would do the distributor while it is off the engine to set the point gap on a high
distributor cam lobe. It is easier than leaning over into the engine compartment.
Set the engine for number one cylinder at the top of compression stroke.
Put distributor in, and find the advance you want, like 7 to 10 degrees before top
dead center (BTDC). Put a test light from power source to the distributor and
rotate the distributor until the light goes out. That is when the contacts "open"
and when the coil should fire that spark plug.

Tom S                                                                         southern Ohio