[FWDLK] Fw: Update on my fund-raising efforts so far.

[FWDLK] Fw: Update on my fund-raising efforts so far.

We have raised over $700 of the 1800 that is needed to participate in the Avon walk.

This summer I will be walking nearly 100 miles over the course of two weekends as a participant in two Breast Cancer events. Once again I am honored to be walking with thousands of others who have made the same courageous commitment: to help raise awareness and funding for this devastating disease. We will sleep in tents, shower in semi-trucks, and push ourselves far beyond what we ever thought we were capable of doing.

This probably isnât the first time youâve heard something like this from me and it probably wonât be the last. Why do I continue to push myself to participate in these events? Why do I keep talking about breast cancer? Why do I continue to fundraise and train? Why? Because when I first started participating in these events I only knew one person that had been touched by breast cancer. Now I know more than I can count. The numbers are not improving. The more people I talk to and the more money I raise to fund the fight against breast cancer - the sooner the numbers start turning around and the sooner a cause and a cure are found.

I truly believe that finding the cure to one cancer will be the key to unraveling the mysteries of many cancers. Too many people have had their lives torn apart by this disease. I refuse to sit idly by and watch it happen. So why do I continue to do all this? Because I can.

This year I signed up for two walks. For each event my teammates and I will be walking 26.2 miles on each Saturday, then 13.1 miles on each Sunday for a grand total of almost 40 miles.The second weekend one will be 60 miles over 3 days. To participate in each event every walker must raise a minimum of $1800 - thatâs $3600 for both events. The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade will manage the money raised from these events.

The mission of the Crusade is to fund access to finding a cure for breast cancer with a focus on medically underserved women, the underprivileged, the elderly and the under- or uninsured. The funds are awarded to medical research into the possible causes, prevention, treatment and cure of breast cancer; clinical care for breast cancer patients; support services for patients and their families; educational seminars; and early detection programs. One of the things that attracted me to the Crusade is that they are looking at the whole picture - cause, cure, care and support.

This is where you come in. I canât do this alone. To participate in these events I am required to raise a minimum of $3600 by May 19th 2006. $3600 is merely a drop in the bucket of what is needed in this fight but it is still far beyond my personal means.

There are two ways you can donate to this cause and support my efforts. You can go to www.avonwalk.org, click on âSponsor A Walker,â click on one or both cities that I will be walking in, then enter my name and it will lead you to a page where you can pledge on-line by credit or debit card either as a one time gift or a pledge over time.
Here is my personal link : http://walk.avonfoundation.org/site/TR?px=2016510&fl=en_US&s_tafId=55166&pg=personal&fr_id=1160
If you are out of breath just reading that, you can also just mail a check made out to  âAvon Walk for Breast Cancerâ directly to me and let me do all the ugly paperwork for you. Either way your gift will be appreciated more than I can possibly tell you.

One of the things I discovered as I was going through my own cancer experience is that I am blessed with an amazing circle of family and friends. This was shown to me over and over as people came out of the woodwork to offer love and support. I feel privileged to have you in my life. This event is one way that I can try to offer some of that support back to those who need it now.

Thank you
Douglas
Sylvester

Note:  As in the past, I walk in memory of my grandmother Ann Daniels. She was and is an inspiration to those who knew and loved her. I also walk in honor of Nancy Lucciarini and so my niece Morgan, will never have to go through what my grandmother and Nancy have
been through.

Please forward this email to anyone who you might know that would be interested in supporting me in this cause.

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us;
What we have done for others and the world is immortal" -Albert Pike