[FWDLK] Charging 6 V battery

As fellow listers know, my ’55 Dodge has a 6 volt positive ground system.  I have an old Wizard battery charger that charges 6 or 12 volts at a max of 3 amps.  When I attached the battery charger to the battery, with neg to neg and pos to pos as to the battery, I wind up totally discharging the battery.  Because the car is positive ground, should I be disconnecting the battery from the car first?  This has happened twice and when I take the battery back to NAPA, it is a flat zero whereas before, it was just down some.

Tom Taylor