Re: [FWDLK] mother mopars motives?

The 1960 Chrysler shared its body with the Plymouth  Dodge Dart, Dodge
Matador/Polara and DeSoto.

The Plymouth and Dodge Dart (except wagons) used a 118" wheelbase version of
the body while the Dodge Matador/Polara, DeSoto and Chrysler Windsor used a
122" wheelbase version of the body.  The extra 4" was in the floor pan just
ahead of the rear seat.   Thus the rear seat legroom on the 122" wheelbase
models was greater than the 118".   The Chrysler Saratoga, New Yorker and
300-F were all on a 126" wheelbase, done by adding 4" ahead of the cowl.
These three wheelbase sizes were actually begun with the 1957 models.
Wagon models came either on a 122' wheelbase or 126".

Why the longer hood on the 126" wheelbase models?  I suspect cost of tooling
giver the low production numbers of the upper Chrysler series.   It would be
cheaper to tool a longer front end - no eztra door lengths, no need for
longer roof lines, no larger rear door/quarter glass, no need for a longer
driveshaft, etc.

Chrysler first did this with the Airflow in 1934 - the six on a 115.5"
wheelbase, the eight on a 123.5" wheelbase (the extra 8" to fit the straight
eight engine) while the Imperial was on a 128.5" wheelbase - all in the rear
seat area.   Chrysler carried that forward to the non-Airflow models in
1935.

Fast forward to 1953 -
Plymouth - 114" wheelbase
Dodge sedan and club coupe  - 119" wheelbase, all in the back seat area
DeSoto and Chrysler used a different body, on a 125½" wheelbase, with the
Imperial hardtop on a 131½" wheelbase (all in the hood) and the sedans on a
133½" wheelbase (the hardtop's longer hood with a 2" wider B pillar plus
floor and roof).

And Chrysler continued extending wheelbases either in the rear seat or hood
through the K car era.    The 1967 C body came in four sizes, for example,
although all wagons were on a 122" wheelbase -
Plymouth - 119" wheelbase
Dodge - 122" wheelbase - an extra 3" in the rear seat area
Chrysler - 124" wheelbase - a further 2" in the rear seat area
Imperial - 127" wheelbase - a 3" longer front stub frame

The K-car's wheelbase was 100", which was extended to 103" for the E
(Plymouth Caravelle, Dodge 600) body, another 1" add for the C body (Dynasty
and New Yorker) and a further 5" for the Y body (Fifth Avenue and Imperial).
All extensions were in the rear seat.

As for the 19 fins on the wheel covers, you would have to ask the person
that designed them.   Remember, when it comes to design and styling, it is
all looks.   If it looks good / right, it is considered a good design.

Bill
Vancouver, BC