Re: [FWDLK] Telling the Difference Between a 241 and a 260

Engine numbers up to 60201 were 241 cu in. engines after 60201 were 260 cu in.
From what I have read the 241s were produced from the introduction of the
55's to the new year and then all were 260's from then on.
Both made by Dodge, not until 56 did Plymouth make their own V8.
Mr. R Bishop gave me the engine # states, but the rest came from the standard car big book.
debenson2
road2recovery
Box 43873
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55443 USA
debensonii@xxxxxxxxxxx

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason Rogers" <jrogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:10 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Telling the Difference Between a 241 and a 260

Greetings:

For a '55 Plymouth (or Dodge) with the poly-V8, how does one tell the
difference between a 241 and a 260?

From what I know, the original rocker/valve cover paint color is the
most obvious way:  red for 241 and silver for 260.  But what if the
rocker/valve cover paint has been changed, are there any other ways to
tell the difference, besides removing the head and measuring the bore?

Is there a table of engine numbers vs. displacement?

When the 260 was introduced in mid-model-year for Plymouth, was it the
only V8 available - i.e. did it replace the 241, or were both engines
available simultaneously?

Thanks,
Jason.