You are correct—the 1955 Chrysler service manual does not seem to have any information on the important and complex starter relay.  I have purchased a CD with the wiring on it and have studied my 1955 Chrysler 300 wiring carefully and can offer the following insights:

The big single terminal may have up to five connections as the hot source from the negative battery terminal.  The number of connections depends on whether the car has power windows, power seat, or both or neither.

  1. the side lug from the #1 black cable that connects the “hot” negative battery terminal to the starter solenoid.
  2. #6 black and red to power window circuit breaker (inside drivers side kick panel)
  3. #6 black to power seat circuit breaker-ditto
  4. #8 red to ammeter and most other lighting, accessories and fans.
  5. #12 green to horn relay “B” terminal

The three smaller terminals have stamped letters by them and reading left to right:

IGN:    #16 (?) black & yellow to ignition switch “S” terminal  (This lead provides the hot 6-Volt signal to the starter solenoid ARMature)

SOL:   #10 brown to starter solenoid (This lead provides a high-amp hot 6-Volt signal to the starter solenoid)

ARM:  #16 brown to safety switch (the neutral safety switch is closed when the impaler (dash-mounted shift lever) is in neutral and provides a ground to the “ARMature” of the solenoid ).  If your safety switch is not working, you can wire this terminal to ground to get you going (in any gear—watch out)

I have a work in progress that is an Excel spreadsheet that is color coded for all the wiring on the 1955 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop.  I will gladly send this to anyone interested, providing they accept it as a work in progress and agree to advise me of any errors.  Convertibles and four–doors will be different, and as all should know, backup lights and air conditioning were not available from the factory on the 1955 Chrysler 300’s.  But many had them added by the dealer, along with the missing rear-view mirrors(s).

C-300’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 Chrysler C-300