[FWDLK] Fw: [FWDLK] Transmission Fluids

Regarding Neil (just call him Darth) Vedder's challenge to G. Riehl, here is his reply.  All y'all do what you want with your transmissions in regards to fluid.  I know a torqueflite shifts more firmly than other brands and I LIKE THAT because it means longer life.   For your hobby cars doing a few hundred miles a year, just be sure your trans has FLUID - of any type - you are correct it won't make a heckuva lot of difference.  But for those who drive a collector car a few thousand miles a year or have been known to leave a stoplight shall we say "RAPIDLY", putting off the expense of the rebuilding is far more important than making it shift like a Generally (inept) Motors car.

Mike mine Type F!

From: George Riehl
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Transmission Fluids

Well, Wayne, all I can say is that Mr. Vedder has had very good luck. Some trannys I have taken apart that have used other lubes, especially D/M, the friction linings get "little" bubbles between the material and the steel disc they should be attached to. This is a result of whatever additive(s) that is in the fluid. It acts as a solvent. If Chrysler engineers have suggested type F, they sure have a reason for it. Trans fluids were discussed between me and the engineers at Colonel Drake Refining in Clevelabd years ago when I ran a fleet of over 250 vehicles and had the fluids tested upon drain.
  They suggested different types that suite the operation of various engines and transmissions. Some got one type, others got another, different from factory specs. They lasted beyond normal life which was a great finantial savings and for down rime.
  I was trained by a man that had retired from AAMCO Transmissions after 35 years, training service personell that went to work in the various shops. To date, I have been rebuilding trannys for 28 years.
  In Mr. Vedders case, if it works for him, fine. Given a time period that his tranny will fail is not what I can predict. It all depends on how it is used and maintained. I have never had  a "call back" that was my fault in rebuilding or suggesting the type of fluid to use in more than 700 I have done. Just lucky, I guess.
  Oh, one more thing, on Chrysler's 4 speed trannys (1964 thru 1969), they used to state "use Automatic Transmission Fluid" to "top off" or "refill". That has been changed also in late1966. Now they say to use 80w gear lube. Those engineers must know something. Gettrag trannys (Dodge trucks) were failing, then the engineers said to ADD 1 to 1 /12 more quarts. Bearings were going bad. Not enough lube. Bad enough that that one would have to buy a new case for over $1,400, plus needed parts.
    George