Re: [FWDLK] What plays on old AM radios

Another solution I have seen is to add an aftermarket player to the trunk that works with a handheld remote and is wired up through modern speakers put in the same place as the originals.    The dash looks the same but the sound is better.    Seems like a popular solution for the hot rod crowd where space is limited or they want a cleaner look to the dash.

Michael Sutherland wrote:

I was worn out on the “oldies” radio stations playing ‘60’s, ‘70’s, and (gasp) ‘80’s rock and roll.  I wanted to play the real stuff on compact disks in my ’58 Plymouth, but I didn’t want to change the original radio or cut / drill the dash or deck.  My solution was the Sony ZS-X10 boombox (see link):

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=pa_Boombox&Dept=audio

The ZS-X10 is one of a very few boomboxes that have anti-skip technology.  I purchased a “refurbished” model for about $65.  I went to my local electronics shop and purchased a DC lighter plug and now I just set the boombox on the front seat and let it play.  Now I get FM and I can play Fats Domino any time I want.  Best of all, I just unplug it and the Plymouth is back to spanking original.  Also, I can transfer it to my ’58 Dodge or ’68 Mercury with no hassles.  It has powerful enough speakers that I can roll down all the windows, drive down the highway and still hear the music.  So far, it has been an almost perfect solution; it’s just too bad the darn thing isn’t made in the United States of America by Philco or General Electric!

-Mike