[FWDLK] gas gauge questions

These are probably some of the dummest questions I've asked...

[1] What causes a gas gauge needle to bounce/jerk/flutter rapidly back and forth? This happens in my '56 Plymouth whether or not the car is moving and at any amount of fuel except plumb full. Seems to be too fast to be the float unit. [This is a hardtop; electromagnetic gauge not the SW thermostatic gauge.]

[2] What's the difference between a 6v fuel gauge and a 12v fuel gauge, specifically in the '55-'56 Plymouths? Doesn't the voltage limiter on the 12v drop the voltage down to 5-6v?

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge