Re: [FWDLK] Mopar Weight Dilemma in WA

Hi Dan--

I'm from SW Washington, and of course face the same registration issues.

For the rest of you, one of our tax repeal advocates, before he got busted for paying himself out of donaqtions, put an initiative on the ballot to repeal Washington's yearly tab by value and enact a flat $30 per year tab fee. Needless to say it passed with flying colors.* Even though it was set aside by the state Supreme Court, the legislature saw the handwriting on that wall and enacted a $30 per year tab fee.

So the Department of Licensing has stayed up nights thinking of ways to stick us for revenue. The weight surcharge Dan mentioned is but one.

Dan, one way around it is to license your cars as classics. Costs about $36 the first year and there is never another renewal. The is a weight surcharge the first year, but it's still a bargain. On my '56 F brand pickup, they accepted sales literature for the weight. Most anything official-looking will do.

For example, I have the Hemmings Book of Dodges and of Plymouths and they list the following:

'56 Plymouth-  Plaza 6 business coupe 3,030#
                       Fury 8 sport coupe 3,650#
'59 Plymouth-   Sport Fury convertible 3,670#
'60 Chrysler Valiant V200 four door sedan 2,655#

Sorry, no '64 Dodge Polara, but almost every Hemmings Classic Car article lists weights.

Failing that, if your car runs you can take it to a commercial scales and get a gross weight for only a few bucks.

The restriction is no more than 2,500 miles per year and for recreational driving only, but most everyone concerned says those provisions are not enforceable.

My local DOL says some of the cars registered as classic are just old clunkers, but there's no requirement that the car be restored.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Davids" <ddavids@xxxxxxxxxx>