Re: [FWDLK] Replacing glass

You might want to have several blankets on the cowl/hood and a "Catcher" to keep it from sliding across the hood and fenders to the floor. Also, the top needs to start coming out first, due to the taper of the sides.
Just a thought, Ray

On Aug 29, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Roger Howard wrote:

If you have determined the gasket is unsalvageable, here is what I did..I used a utility/razor knife and began cutting away the exterior of the gasket, along the glass surface, until I could see the glass was just resting ON the gasket, not trapped by it. Then go inside and with your back in the seat and your feet on the glass, and just push.
Rogerh
----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Filtz" <filtz1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 11:52 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Replacing glass

Group,

I just acquired a new windshield for my car. The old windshield had a stone chip and star in it (from 1957). Outside of obtaining a new gasket (Gary Goers?), what do I need to do to remove the old windshield and install the new one? The old rubber gasket is hard with age and I would like to remove the old glass in one piece. Anyone care to share the knowledge of experience?

Greg in WI
1956 Dodge Royal Lancer