[FWDLK] steering shafts

After talking to the Grant engineer this morning it a ppears that I have a 1960 steering shaft on the 1961 Newport. Either it may be an early 61 or someone changed the shaft along the line. The engineer told me that the tooling for the adapter that I need broke in the 80s and they chose not to fix it.  Does anyone here have any experience with steering shaft replacement? Do they interchange from car to car? Would the longer wheelbase of a 300 or New Yorker mean that it would have a longer shaft?  Is this a matter of measuring the length of the shaft to see what else might fit?
Thanks,
 Larry Gardinier