From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Wayne Graefen
Sent: Sunday, 3 September 2006 10:06 a.m.
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: [Chrysler300] Roller tappet cams

I have a question that is outside my realm of knowledge that one of you
historians or engineers can probably comment on or answer.

When were roller tappets first employed in automobile engines as a
race-option upgrade?  I know the question is a little convoluted.  Maybe
Duesenbergs had roller tappets in limousines?  I don't know.  But what about
at Chrysler Corp?

The reason I ask is that my '53 Chrysler New Yorker Pan Am race package New
Yorker has roller tappets and camshaft # 1555153 which isn't in the parts
books.  As the 300C tech, I know that the stick 300Cs could be ordered with
any cam and some of them were "rollers".  May have been true with the stick
Bs also?

But I'm guessing this is the earliest Chrysler put a "roller motor" into a
streetable car.  Looking for your input.

Yes, I realize this is not a 300 or ForwardLook direct question however it
is about historical development that directly led to those cars.

Wayne Graefen

For list server instructions, go to

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/