Re: [FWDLK] Power steering leak

Drill or punch a tiny hole on either side, midway between the inner and outer diameter of the seal. Thread a pair of small sheet metal screws into those holes, then you can pry under the screw heads with a screwdriver, levering the seal up out of the bore.

Mike

At 11:11 PM 9/9/2006, Rich Barber wrote:
I found an oil seal for the steering shaft on my 1955 Chrysler 300 power
steering unit at NAPA.  Same seal 1955 to 1981, I think they said.  NAPA#
12350 $7.99 net, + tax.  I bought one and it looks right.  Any good ideas on
how to remove the old seal from the steering box, after the snap ring
retainer is removed?  Chrysler manual shows a special tool--a thin
threaded/barbed collar that is forced between the seal and the shaft, then
pulled back with a nut on the steering shaft and a gizmo to tie them
together.  It seems there must be a straightforward mechanic's trick to
removing the old seal without boogering up the sealing surface on the shaft.
Thin steel stock with fishhook ends?  Machine a tool to emulate the one in
the Chrysler manual?  As the seal is in relatively recent use, perhaps
Chrysler mechanics can still get the tool-where?

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: eastern sierra Adj Services [mailto:esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 12:42 AM
To: Rich Barber; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Power steering leak

I've previously reported that, when my car's P/steering gearbox was
leaking, like a 'sieve', I bought a wrecking-yard gearbox, from Moore's
, of SD, & had it be sent, directly, to Lares Corp, for overhaul.

Lares charged me $600.00 for their work, & YEAH, when I got the
gearbox-unit, from Lares, it was painted black!!

So, I got out my drill, & several wire -wheels, & removed Lares'  paint
(who KNOWS what the physical-condition was, of the "overhauled" case?) ,
and polished the aluminum(?) case, so that, by the time I finished, I
had a very pretty piece, which I ,then,  clear-coated.

Altho I had NO idea, what to expect, from their overhaul, I was, & AM,
very-happy with the steering-response/feel, & the lack of any
leaks/defects, associated with their work.

I've offered to sell my car's leaking, but otherwise
perfectly-operational, p/steering gearbox, for the same $250.00, that
Moore's charged me, for their wrecking-yard piece, that Lares
overhauled, so that someone else could have MY piece  be overhauled, &
installed in THEIR car, so that their car is never 'down', while their
gearbox might be sent-out, for 'work'.

Also, by having a back-up unit, if there is some "problem" associated
with the O/H, your car will not have to be dead-in-the-water, for a
prolonged time.

Neil Vedder