[FWDLK] Riveting Question....

Actually, John, et al, as I have owned my car for over 20 years, I've
replaced my 'cats-whisker' window weatherstrips fully-twice, since I've
care-taked him.

What I decided to do, & am glad that I did, was
install Gary Goers weatherstrips,   after custom-trimming them, to match
the OEM
pieces,    by using small/short sheetmetal screws, to connect them to
the door 'sills'.

I snipped-off the points of the screws, after figuring out "where" they
should be applied,  and then screwing them in,  under the upper-fuzzy
section on the pieces (about only 4 are required) , to ensure that they
could not, possibly, scratch the windows.

I, then, applied paint dabs, to the screw-ends, & positioned the
weatherstrips against the "panels", to mark where the panels should be
drilled, to accept the screws.

I then, applied black paint TO the screw heads
(or, to your pop-rivets) to hide their appearance.

A LOT of times, I've seen un-sightly, bright pop-rivet heads  showing
"through" the black weatherstripping, especially when the window(s) are
rolled down.

My protocol might be a little more involved than pop-riveting the
weatherstrips, but, my procedure is easily reversible, and is just as
'secure' as pop-riveting .

The pop-rivets can be drilled-out, but, not everybody's got access to a
pop-riveter. I didn't; & still don't.

Once the mating-holes are put into the inner-panels, removing the
weatherstrips, for whatever reason (repair/re-painting/replacement) in
the future, is a no-brainer.

Neil Vedder