From: Ray Jones <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 1:32:20 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] media blaster tools

The "Free Standing" Units come in various wallet sizes, and are very
handy in the well equipped shop. You can buy them from glove Box door
size to Fender size. But sooner or later, you run out of room and that
is where the handheld guns come in. You need a good compressor, a place
to use it, and patience. Good for bodies of cars and suchlike, you must
be careful not to over do as you can "Harden" the metal causing many
problems later as you work the metal, prep and paint.

And, in reality, there is little difference between the two except the
Hand Held unit is outside or inside a "Free Standing"  box.

Then comes the choice of Media; Walnut Shells, Sand in many types,
Glass Beads, the list goes on, and each has it's uses.

Too many years ago, I took a 250 Gal Oil Tank, laid it on it's side,
cut along both ends and across the bottom. Folded the side up to act
like a back-splash. Dumped 3-4 bags of fine sand into it and used it
for both the containment area for the blasting and as a collection
point for the sand. Scooped up the sand to refill the pressure tank
from time to time. Worked for many years for me, would hold many large
parts and cost very little. I had two of these tanks, the second one I
used to rinse off parts that had been in my Hot Dip Tank for cleaning.

Regards, Ray