Re: [FWDLK] 1956 Imperial Parade Limos

One Imperial convertible was built in 1955, but none in 1956.

The three Imperial parade phaetons appear to be 1956 models, but they were
built in 1952.  In 1955 they were updated with new front and rear ends using
the 1956 designs.

The front doors on the 1955 Imperial Custom sedan were unique to that model
and were not shared by the Crown Imperial .   The 1955 Custom front door
shell part numbers were 1620 526 (R) and 1620 527 (L),.  The Crown Imperial
front doors were 1645 802 (R) and 1645 803 (L).

The rear doors of the 1955-56 Crown Imperial were not shared by any other
Mopar vehicle due to their extra length.   The Crown Imperial also had a
wider B pillar between the front and rear doors and the cars had a quarter
wndow behind the rear doors.  Sitting in the back of a Crown Imperial sedan
or limousine was similar to sitting in the back seat of a 2-door sedan,
without the front seat being so close.   The Crown Imperial also had a
smaller, formal reare window and not the wide wraparound unit used on the
Custom.

The 1956 Crown Imperial gained the new engine and front headlamp doors - the
front clip on the Crown was shared with the Custom - and some other bits and
pieces.  But as the rear end was unique to the Crown, just as the 1949-53
LWB models were, Chrysler could not justify spending a couple of million
dollars on new finny quarter panels for a model that was selling about 200
units a year.  Thus the 1956 Crown carried on with the 1955 rear bumper,
trim and quarter panels with fins added along the top edge..  And the 1956
Crown dropped the Ausco-Lambert disc brakes adn brought back the Lockheed
drum brakes.

By the way, the 1956 Imperial Custom adopted 12-volt negative ground
electrics, but the 1956 Crown adopted just the negative ground as the C.I.
switched to 12-volt (positive gournd) electrics in 1953.
.
Bill
Vancoucer, BC