From: MJRAGUSE@xxxxxxx
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] 57-8 Plymouth Hood Latch

In a message dated 9/29/2006 9:05:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, SherwoodK@xxxxxxx writes:
The spring cannot be cad plated -- don't ask me how I know. The cad plating makes the spring brittle and it will break in short order.

Sherwood Kahlenberg

What Sherwood is speaking of is a phenomena called hydrogen embrittlement.  It causes rather rapid failure of parts under stress such as a spring.  I stated that the spring was coated in some protective material and has a dark hue to it. I did not say that it was cad plated. Someone else must have.  Normal plating of stressed parts such as bolts requires an annealing process where the item is elevated in temperature to remove the entrapped hydrogen.  Never make the mistake of plating safety items such as wheel bolts and other such parts.  Marv