From: Ted Blackington <Cebuisle2@xxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2006 1:42:27 PM
Subject: [FWDLK] engine oils

I'll contribute my experiences with oils on the present thread. Being a young 69, I have used quite a few of them.

I read several years ago that Pennzoil was no longer made from Pennsylvania oil, and was made from West Coast or Near East oils exactly as were most of the other oils.  One of their claims over the years was that "Penn oils" were superior in lubrication., due to a slightly different chemical composition of the original oil.  I know nothing about the additives to this oil, but remember reading a Consumer Digest report on additives years ago-which stated that the more additives there were, the in less oil there was  in the can. The chemicals used replaced like amount of oil, resulting in less lubrication.  Sounded logical to me..

ANYWAY- For years I used Wolf's Head oil, another "Pennsy" oil but when moving to Maine from California years ago switched to Pennzoil as I couldn't find Wolf's head. I was still using 30W in my 56 N.Y. wagon. One frosty morn (-10) we started for a nearby town. Within ten miles a rod bearing started banging, and the engine had to be rebuilt. There was no problem with this engine before that day. Assume there cold oil didn't make it to the bearings in time. Using 30W of course, didn't help-but I was fresh from CA and didn't know Maine got that cold!

On another occasion I attempted to drain the oil on my pick up truck one morning, temp around -20 F  Pulled the plug, nothing came out! The oil had jelliefied! If I had started the truck I probably would have lost that engine also. Don't remember what weight, but remember the  experience.

Pennzoil used to be very popular with the motoring crowd back in the 50's-60's, as was Wolf's Head. If, as I read, they no longer use oil from Pennsylvania, whatever edge they had has disappeared. I wonder what folks in Maine did before they had multi-viscosity oils? Probably switched to 10 W or 20W when winter came? Anyway, my son, who is parts manager for the local Buick Agency (regretfully) insists that Valvoline  is the best, so I use it to humor him!!

I would be interested in anyone else's experience with Pennzoil-              Ted