From: Rich Barber [mailto:c300@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 12:17 PM
To: 'Forward Look Mopar Discussion List'; 'Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: 1955 Chrysler Horns

As previously noted, I have an inoperative horn on the passenger (RHS) of my
1955 Chrysler 300 (early VIN 3N#551198-March, 1955).  It is a trumpet horn
as is the horn on the LHS of the car.  I had made a casual survey of other
1955 Chryslers and observed some had one compact horn on the driver's side
(referred to by Chrysler parts manual as a Sea Shell and all had the trumpet
horn on the passenger's (RHS).

This inconsistency led to further study of the parts manual that shows the
following for 1955 Windsors, New Yorkers and Imperials:
All are "except CA-Built cars" and there are no separate part numbers for
CA-built cars or 300's.

RHS:  Low note trumpet  1622475
LHS:  High note trumpet 1622476 (Up to VIN W-51982, NY-31836, Imp-7837)
LHS:  Upper-Low Note Sea Shell 1605186 (After VIN W-51982, NY-31836,
Imp-7837)
LHS:  Lower-High Note Sea Shell 1622530 (After VIN W-51982, NY-31836,
Imp-7837)

The parts manual is unclear as to whether there are supposed to be two Sea
Shells AND one trumpet after the given VIN's or just the two Sea Shells.  I
have one confirmed report and my own observations that some 300's may have
one shell and one trumpet.

The only part number on I could find on the horn was an ink-stamped number
on the coil plate under the horn ?? 29 095  (??'s unreadable). This does not
appear to be either an Auto-Lite or a Chrysler part number.

Could those of you with 1955 Chrysler Windsors, New Yorkers, 300's and/or
Imperials take a quick peek at your car's horns and let me know what is
installed?  Let me know by model and VIN.  I'd also be interested in your
subjective report on the sound quality-somewhere between sick calf and
K-Whopper air horn.  Also let me know if you can operate your car's horn
with the key off and out.

In a small way, I hope this advances the science of "what came from the
factory?"  I am especially interested as to whether the horn systems on the
C-300's also changed mid-year and/or whether they were always somewhat
different from Windsors, NY's & Imps.  I'll publish the data received.

In any case, I need a replacement operating passenger's side horn with
decent appearance.  My RHS horn is a 6-Volt Auto-Lite and has a total
horizontal run of its trumpet outlet of about 13".  The driver's side (LHS)
horn has a total horizontal run of about 10".  If you have a spare RHS horn,
please let me know price and condition, including S&H.  I can use my
bowl-shaped horn cap if yours is missing or decrepit.  Even better, any tips
on repairing my inoperative horn would be appreciated.  I have tried the
WD-40 soak to no avail.  I get a click when applying Voltage, but not even a
faint moo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA (Contra Costa County-94513)