Re: [FWDLK] Automotive vernacular, malapropisms and downright poor speec

Re: [FWDLK] Automotive vernacular, malapropisms and downright poor speech

Title: Re: [FWDLK] Automotive vernacular, malapropisms and downright poor speech
You can add to the list of wrong-headed words seen on the internet and over email:

    counsel    (referring to console)

    repo    (as in a reproduction part, so it should be “repro”)

    hi-pro    (as in a a high performance version of an engine)

    Alfa Romero

    Camero

    posi, positraction    (referring to Mopar “limited slip differential”)

and the continuing and ubiquitous misspelling and misuse of words like:

    definate, definately

    their    (when trying to say “they’re”)

    your     (as in “Your gonna love this.”)  << This one drives me nuts.

I can only assume that they don’t cover contractions in school anymore.
The fact that our school districts have allowed such a dumbing down
of expectations is truly a national disaster. It becomes increasingly difficult
to find qualified, well-educated candidates for jobs these days. I know
firsthand as a manager at Microsoft. No wonder we hire abroad.

Dan Davids
Woodinville, WA